What is hosting ? Hosting is a way of placing a site on the Internet. As soon as you have placed your website on the server, anyone can access it by typing the domain name in the browser’s string. Access to the site is possible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
To post your website online, you must:
– first of all, have your own website. You need to have a copy of the site on your local computer (in html files), or ready materials + script that would allow you to create a web site directly on the server.
– Domain name. You need to find and purchase the domain name of the site. It is desirable that the name speaks about the subject of the site, and it is easy to remember. A domain name can be in any domain zone of your choice, for example: .com .net .org .ru, etc. When choosing a domain zone, be guided by data on domain topics. Domains .com, for example, are intended for commercial sites, .org – government agencies and public organizations. Regional domains talk about the site belonging to any region. This is an optional rule, but worth remembering.
– order one of the hosting rates at Hostland, a hosting service . The choice of the tariff plan is a separate topic for conversation, some aspects that need to be considered are described here.
What is a server?
This is a computer hosted by an Internet provider and connected to a worldwide network that stores a copy of the website. As a rule, one server can accommodate a lot of websites, due to the large disk array and very high performance. What is important is the amount of server disk space, and its computing power and bandwidth of the Internet channels hosting provider.
With the help of any web browser (programs for browsing websites on the Internet) you can access your website by typing the website address in the browser line.
Web hosting can be compared with rental properties. Many companies are ready to offer hosting for a reasonable fee, but not many can provide hosting with proper quality. Speaking about the cost of hosting, it should be noted that for most web sites the cost of payment per month may not exceed 300 rubles. Within this cost, you can find a hosting company that provides 300 megabytes of server disk space and various functions, such as: installing and running scripts, database support, administrative panel (i.e., your control panel) web site, where Not only the site, but also the e-mail settings are being made – by the way, Hostland will provide you with almost any technologies necessary for your site
If you plan to open a representative office in the network, you need not only to decide what level the website will be, but also to correctly determine the choice of the hosting provider. Statistically, more than 70% of website owners switched from one hosting service to another at least once. The transfer to another provider was caused by dissatisfaction with the quality of hosting services provided. Very often, to attract customers, hosting providers offer many attractive bonuses
Indeed, any provider says that he is the best, and he has the lowest prices, etc. etc. And then it turns out that the support service is not responding, or is responding, but with a delay, the servers sometimes “hang” because of the heavy load. Such a carelessness in choosing a provider can cause great losses. Imagine what the lack of access to the company’s website means, where every half an hour important information is updated for employees located in remote branches of the company. Imagine that potential clients of the company cannot find out the contact phone number or email address, because they cannot get to the site. Perhaps in half an hour they will not make a second attempt to enter the site. Perhaps in half an hour they will find another competing firm. The damage from hanging servers can be huge.
Next, which tariff plan to choose?
Tariff plans, as a rule, differ in the size of disk space, the possible number of sites per account, and the restriction on server load. Of course, after you have selected some of the most reputable hosting companies, you need to compare their tariff plans. When comparing it is necessary to remember what requirements the tariff plan should satisfy. It is necessary to take into account:
- amount of disk space provided
- ability to have multiple email addresses
- installing and running applications (cgi, php, MySQL)
- FTP site access
- the administrative panel, with the help of which to monitor and manage the site (very important: a high-quality administrative panel, where all the functions are conveniently “laid out” will save you a lot of time)
- perhaps the most important thing is hosting technical support available at any time of the day or night, by email and by phone
Analyze in order
If your first website will consist of several pages and a logo, then the tariff plan, where the size of the disk space will be from 100 to 300 megabytes, is quite suitable. This is more than enough. Less than 100 megabytes of disk space is almost not provided by any hosting provider.
With postal addresses easier – almost all providers make available an unlimited number of addresses within one domain. The limit can only be on the number of separate POP3 and SMTP accounts. This means that, despite the different addresses, you have a limited number of individual connections using an email program.
Installing and running scripts is necessary if the site will be built on dynamic pages, or it is necessary to implement the search function inside the site. If the site is completely built on statistical html-pages, then the launch of scripts is of secondary importance.
Access to the site via FTP is required. Without it, you will not do anything. FTP access is provided by any provider, at this stage everything is simple and clear.
The administrative panel, at first glance, does not have high significance. But when it comes to practical site maintenance, a high-quality admin panel is simply indispensable. With the help of the admin panel, you can not only set the site settings, but also receive statistical information about the site, for example: how much disk space is used / freely, what is the outgoing traffic rate for this month (as a rule, all providers set a limit on outgoing traffic) – to in a word, Hostland does not limit its customers in traffic. Using the admin panel, it is easy to handle the site and email settings: create new email addresses, set up mail forwarding, manage folders and files (set file permissions, passwords to directories).
Technical support is probably one of the most important components of high-quality hosting – the support service will explain why the site does not work, help to install this or that hosting program, help identify why the site was hacked, restore a broken site from backup, etc. etc. Of course, it is not unimportant that a qualified support service works around the clock – this will help to significantly speed up the resolution of many technical problems.